Currently Spring 2019: What’s going on this quarter for Life With My Littles!
It’s spring! Finally! Seriously this winter has lasted FOREVER.
We had a good March. We celebrated J’s 6th birthday, went to Disney on Ice (our family tradition!), started our seeds for our garden, the snow melted and we got to play outside several times, we got to do a few fun things during J’s spring break, my husband and I went on a date and saw Jim Gaffigan, we ate lots of Girl Scout Cookies, and have finally gone more than two weeks without anyone getting sick. Things are finally looking up!
Anyway, you may have noticed that the title of this currently post says “spring” instead of the current month, April. Well remember last month when I said I’d been feeling stuck? I took the time to sit down and really think about what needs to happen in my life to help me feel better. I love writing and creating and I knew that if I completely quit blogging I would have a big hole in my life. Instead of quitting, I decided to scale back a bit. There will be three main changes that you’ll notice moving forward:
- I’m only going to share one Honest Birth post a month. This has kind of been happening for a while anyway because I’m having a hard time getting people who say they want to participate to actually send in their stories, but I’m going to make it official so I don’t stress about trying to find two people to share each month.
- Instead of monthly currently posts, I’m going to do seasonal currently posts. So I’ll do a spring one (duh, this one), a summer one, a fall one, and a winter one. I like keeping everyone updated on what’s going on with us, but I feel like Instagram is more the place for that than this blog.
- I’m only going to be posting on my blog once a week. A few years ago, I decided to go from three posts a week to two posts, and it was great for a while. But now I’m only going to be doing one post a week. I’m going to work on writing better, more helpful content because helping other mamas is what this blog is all about.
So why the changes? Well besides feeling stuck, my kids are just at stages in their lives where they each need more individualized attention. They all have their own stuff going on and it takes a lot of energy and time to give them what they need. Personally, I’ve also been going through sort of a self-awareness journey, and as dumb as that sounds, I’ve been trying to figure myself out a little more. I have been feeling like I always need to be working in every spare moment I have (I’m blaming my dad for that workaholic part of my personality!), and it’s exhausting. I have lots of posts I want to update and a lot of stuff that I need to get done behind-the-scenes since I’m the only one I employ, and there’s just not enough time. I’ve also been trying to figure out how to stay in a good place and prevent my anxiety and stress from getting the best of me and making me feel like I need to work all the time. I’ll be writing more about that at the end of the month in a post for Maternal Mental Health Awareness Week, so if that’s vague it will be clear soon. I’m just figuring out what I need in order to be at my best.
Change can be hard, but it can also be good, and while the ultimate goal of Life With My Littles is to help other moms enjoy their lives, I also need to step back and reassess mine a little bit. I love writing and creating, but there is a time and a season for all things. I may go back to posting more one day, but for now, I need to step back a little bit.
Anyway, now that you know what’s up, I have a few more things I want to tell you about!
- My half marathon is this weekend! Woo! All the training, all the long runs at the gym, all 18 weeks of getting ready and the race weekend is here! I’m so excited, I know I can do it, and I can’t wait to share all about it. I’m going to write a post about training for a half marathon when you have young kids in two weeks so you’ll get more details then, but for now, YAY!
- We started our seeds and are planning our garden for this year! So far we’ve planted celery and peppers and tomatoes, but we have more we’re planting tonight and then about half of what we’re planting we’re going to seed directly in the garden mid-May. We want to make sure we pass that frost date! We learned a lot last year so we feel like this year our garden is going to do even better! Yay gardening!
- I also recently applied, was interviewed, and chosen to write for the Twin Cities Moms Blog! I’m so pumped and so excited because the City Moms Blog network is such an incredible resource for mamas, and I am thrilled I get to be a part of it. I already have a bunch of ideas for future posts, and I will definitely be sharing on Instagram when my posts go up on their site. Yay!
- I heard back from Barnes and Noble about stocking “Preggers” in stores. If you want to read about it, check out this insta post.
Well that’s what’s currently going on here! I know that’s kind of a lot of changes as far as my blog is concerned, but it’s what needs to happen right now to help me keep my head on straight. Thanks for the support and for sticking around, mamas!