Better Than Pumpkin Pie Cake is the perfect Thanksgiving or fall dessert. With a cake layer on the bottom, and a crunchy brown sugar topping, it is divine!
When we were living in Provo we had dinner with a nice couple in our ward for FHE one evening. The wife, Miriam, made us an amazing pumpkin dessert, and we were instantly friends. I have no idea where she got it, but I haven’t seen a recipe quite like it on Pinterest, so I thought I would pass along the one she gave me.
It is the perfect mix of cake and bar and pumpkin and cake. The different textures of the cake and pumpkin layers with the extra crunch of the top layer is the perfect combination! It really is, Better Than Pumpkin Pie Cake.
It’s a pretty simple recipe to make, and the little work it does take is completely worth it.
- 1 box plain yellow cake mix
- 4 eggs
- 1 c. brown sugar
- 1 can (30 oz.) pumpkin
- 1 c. butter
- ⅔ c. milk
- 1 Tbsp. cinnamon
- ½ c. brown sugar
- 1 tub Cool Whip
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Reserve 1 cup of the cake mix. Set aside.
- Melt ½ c. butter and mix with remaining cake mix and 1 beaten egg. Spread in the bottom of a 9x13" greased cake pan. (I recommend using your fingers to help spread it evenly)
- Mix together the first measure of brown sugar, the milk, cinnamon, 3 beaten eggs, and pumpkin. Pour over cake mix layer and spread evenly.
- Combine the 1 c. cake mix, remaining brown sugar, and ½ c. softened butter. Crumble (or spread, depending on how softened your butter is) over the pumpkin layer and bake for 45 minutes.
- Once it's completely cool, spread tub of whipped cream on top.
You can serve it warmed up or chilled from the fridge. Both ways are extra delicious (trust me).
Please try this recipe! It is delicious and wonderful and will make all your dreams come true. Not really, but it is delicious and pumpkin and that’s all you need.