The 6 best things to say to a pregnant woman: a satirical look at things that you are allowed to say to pregnant women!
When you are pregnant, sometimes people don’t have a filter. They say ridiculous things, not always realizing it’s rude. Things like “you’re getting so big” or “you look ready to pop” are not things that pregnant women like to hear, especially towards the end when they don’t want to me reminded that baby is still not here yet.
During both of my pregnancies, I heard a lot of things that I thought were sort of offensive. Pregnant woman are sensitive, and you can easily upset them. You’ll notice most of these things do not mention the size of the pregnant woman. That’s pretty much an off-topic subject. So here is my satirical guide to the best things to say to a pregnant woman.
1. You are beautiful/amazing/gorgeous. This is obviously good to say to anyone, but especially good for a pregnant woman. Why? It takes the focus off of how round their belly is getting, and makes them feel good about themselves, despite the cankles, weight gain, sweating, and acne breakouts. Anything to make a pregnant woman to feel good is a great thing to say, especially when she feels gross and is super emotional.
2. You are such a cute pregnant woman. I went to a waterpark when I was 8 months pregnant and had a lady tell me that I was so cute and was rockin’ my swimsuit. Needless to say, it made my day. I would suspect that most pregnant woman do not feel as attractive as when they aren’t pregnant, and they definitely need to hear that they are. Even if that bump is huge, just call it cute and let them know they look good pregnant.
3. How far along are you? The most important thing about this question is that there is no follow up as to size. But asking how far along they are invites a conversation with them and gives you a chance to say more nice things! But caution, make sure you ask it this way and not “how long do you have left?” I may have snapped at someone a little bit when they asked me that and I had a little over a week left. Because at that point, you just want that baby out and anyone is a target for your frustration.
4. Are you having a boy or a girl? This is a safe question to ask because it doesn’t talk about size, and it gives you something exciting to talk about. Regardless of whether women know if it’s a boy or a girl, they are going to be excited about the gender of their baby. So let them talk about it! And congratulate them no matter what they are having. Boys and girls are both fun and you don’t want to tell them how hard one of them is. Because with all of those fun pregnancy emotions, you could easily upset them.
5. How are you feeling? Quite honestly, I just like to complain at the end of pregnancy. IT is hard making a baby, and with both of my pregnancies, my body did not love me back. My poor husband got a lot of my complaints, but it would have been super nice if someone had asked me how I was feeling so I could just vent a little.
6. Your bump is adorable! Again, just make her feel good about her growing belly. Let her know she looks great, her bump is cute, and she is doing a great job.
And most importantly, don’t say anything about size! If you aren’t sure if it’s an okay thing to ask, then ask yourself if you would be referencing her size and then there’s your answer. If you need more tips about the worst things to say to a pregnant woman, you can check those out here. And good luck navigating the turbulent waters of talking to a pregnant woman.